Welcome to the online/distance learning portion of the Marshalltown Community College website! We’re glad you’re taking the time to get more information about online/distance learning, and perhaps even taking the next steps toward enrollment, registration and participation. Navigating your way through college can be challenging when you’re on a new campus, and sometimes even more challenging when you’re online. We hope that the information below and on the pages listed to the left will be of great help to you.
Marshalltown Community College has been approved to participate in the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA). NC-SARA is a voluntary, regional approach to state oversight of postsecondary distance education. This means that MCC can enroll fully-online students only if the student is 1) from a SARA-approved state within the United States and its territories, or if the student is 2) an international student. Here is the list of states that have been fully accepted into SARA: //nc-sara.org/state-actions/state-actions-regarding-sara. Questions can be directed to the MCC Admissions Office.
Did you know you can earn an Associate of Arts (AA) degree entirely online with us? That’s right, you can earn your degree without stepping foot in a classroom. Just follow the steps below and you’re on your way!
Here’s what to do next …
- You will need access to a computer to take an online course. Check out the other technical requirements for our online courses …
- All students are assigned an academic advisor. All fully online/distance learning students are assigned to Kelly Davis, who can be reached via the contact information on the right side of this page. Depending on your degree program, you’ll also be assigned a faculty advisor … Kelly will help with that process.
- Apply to Marshalltown Community College/Iowa Valley Grinnell.
- Submit your ACT or ACCUPLACER scores to the MCC Admissions Office.
- Submit official high school or HSED and college transcripts from all previous institutions to the MCC Admissions Office (3700 South Center Street, Marshalltown, Iowa 50158).
- Access the MCC Financial Aid Checklist, which will direct you to complete your Free Application for Federal Student Aid/FAFSA.
- Register for classes. Click here for a complete list of online courses.
- All of our fully online courses are taught on the Blackboard Learn platform. Once you have a student identification number, you will have access to a Blackboard Learn account.
Quality Matters (www.qualitymatters.org) is a national organization for the promotion of excellence in online/distance education classes. These MCC classes have been nationally certified by a Quality Matters team including one subject matter expert in the course area for meeting or exceeding national standards for excellence in an online distance education class:
- MAT 156 – Statistics I
- SPC 112 – Public Speaking
- HIS112 – Western Civilization
- ENG 106 – Composition II
- PHI 101 – Introduction to Philosophy
- MAT 219 – Calculus III
- PHI 105 – Introduction to Ethics
- CSC 118 – Computer Systems & Applications
- ENG 111 – Technical Writing
- BIO 532 – Human Body: Health & Disease
- BIO 151 – Nutrition
These online education experiences are some of the best that we have to offer. Additionally, April Graveman also received the ITC (Instructional Technology Council) 2013 Distinguished Educator award for excellence and achievement in online/distance learning education. The ITC (www.itcnetwork.org) is a national organization supporting online/distance learning education.